Osteoporosis is a disease that weakens bones, making them more susceptible to sudden and unexpected fractures. Osteoporosis is often symptom-free; therefore the disease frequently goes undiagnosed until an incident occurs. In the United States, about 10 million people are estimated to have osteoporosis, and about 34 million are estimated to have low bone mass, placing them at increased risk for osteoporosis. Alarmingly, approximately 80 percent of patients do not receive recommended osteoporosis care following a fracture.
At Oklahoma Pain Treatment Centers, our physicians address this problem by providing comprehensive orthopedic bone health care and education for the primary and secondary prevention of osteoporosis. Our goal is to:
- Reduce overall fracture risk
- Accelerate healing
- Prevent subsequent fractures
- Break the fragility cycle
You may benefit from a bone health or osteoporosis consult if you have experienced any of the following:
- You are a man or woman over age 50
- You are a postmenopausal woman
- You are a man with low testosterone
- You are an adult who has been treated for breast or prostate cancer
- You have lost height, developed a stooped or hunched posture, or experienced sudden back pain with no apparent cause
- You have been taking glucocorticoid medications such as prednisone, cortisone, or dexamethasone for 2 months or longer or are taking other medications known to cause bone loss
- You have a family history of osteoporosis
- You have a chronic medical condition such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Chronic Kidney Disease or COPD
Please call Oklahoma Pain Treatment Centers today to schedule your consultation and discuss the services to help you #LivePainFree!